Monday, June 7, 2010

Graduation Day

Today, Caroline started her first day in the Toddler class at her school.

I know, right?  Its formal, official, finito, over.  She is a toddler.  No longer a baby.  That was fast.

I didn't think this would be as big of a deal, but for some reason, it gets to me.  On the one hand, I'm excited about all of her new independence and how her mind just seems to be soaking in more each day at an exponential rate.

On the other hand, I don't want her to grow up.  This won't be the last time I feel this way.  We were at a wedding yesterday and I almost started crying when I saw the bride walk down the aisle. With this daycare transition fresh in my mind, I was just so aware Caroline can't go back to being a baby.  She shouldn't go back, and of course we want to keep helping her move forward, but this weekend I just wanted it to stop for a second.

A cliche, I know.  What dad worth his salt doesn't feel this way often? -- But when its you, its huge.

And then today.  In her school, 'toileting' starts in the toddler class.  So she went to school in underpants.  And came home with several  many pair to be washed.  She was a wreck tonight, it was clearly a hard day.  So we may be in for some hard weeks.  Pray for us and the other four families who are 'toileting' as well.  And thank God for hardwood floors.


On a completely unrelated and less scatological note, here are pictures of Caroline in her baby pool from a while back:

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

She'll always be your baby and she will always need her daddy. Many daughters can testify to this.